Friday, January 22, 2010

natural glue

First, I have recently hatched baby slugs. Eggs were laid while I was purging some collected garden slugs, and voila! my first tiny brood.

I am working with Jodi Lomask of Capacitor (www.capacitor.org) on an Ocean Project. We recently returned from a creative R&D session in Bali. Finally I was back in Pemuteran, after nearly 6 years, diving among the beautiful corals: those on natural rocks, and those growing on Biorock structures (www.globalcoral.org, www.biorockbali.webs.com).
I made another steel structure, a "coral skirt," for Jodi to do underwater choreography and I captured it on video. We were invited to perform at the Michael Franti Baliday Bash in Kuta. Fun! We did a short synchronized movement piece on platforms with just-shot underwater footage on large monitors to the sides.
We are now developing our touring performance, art, sci, action exhibit to inspire healthy relationships with the ocean. In this process, my amazing talented friends are sharing videos about octopuses using coconut shells as shelter, solar-powered slugs, natural glues, bioluminescence. I really want to use biodegradable, non-toxic materials for this exhibit. Obviously, if I don't like pesticides, how am I going to be happy with all the toxic glues and plastics we use in the art industry? If anyone has contacts with medical chemists/scientists, I think that is one way to develop the materials that could also be useful outside of medicine. Another way, rewind to Indigenous knowledge and see what nature taught our ancestors. Learn from all the amazing living species on the land and in the sea.
Here are a few new links I have received.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16124-solarpowered-sea-slug-harnesses-stolen-plant-genes.html
Makes me think of the algae labs being worked in down in Berkeley CA.


this is from the American Chemical Society
http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PP_ARTICLEMAIN&node_id=2108&content_id=CNBP_023259&use_sec=true&sec_url_var=region1&__uuid=32a86532-f264-43e5-a63a-697b3a2a181f

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/3258.html
about strong bacteria adhesive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DoWdHOtlrk
octopus using "tools". coconut for shelter.

trouble attaching links, so I hope you can cut and paste in your search..

No comments: