Monday, June 30, 2008

Pesticide Peddler

I spoke with one today. He is a a self-proclaimed pesticide peddler and organic farmer. I asked about pesticide screening and he said that it could run me $400 per pesticide. It isn't something you can broad scan, you need to zone in on the exact component you wish to find. Expensive prospect! I think I will stick with testing for lead, arsenic, maybe the water and soils in the areas.
I asked him why organic farming can't compete with conventional; does he think it can?
"Well, if you go into a store and there is a worm in one nectarine next to a worm without a nectarine..." No, he said a nectarine without a worm next to a wormy one, "which would you buy?"

I understand the financial situation for farmers, but that helps me clarify my goals. I want us to envision balance in our lives. Grow more gardens with beneficial insects and birds to maintain enough balance so that we don't have such uni-crop problems. Huge fields with only one crop is absurd for nature. It cannot control such an out of control gift for specific predators. In the mean time, slugs are out of control; eating them is one easy way to tip the scales a bit. My pesticide peddling organic farming friend, wow, he cancels his own vote. Most people need another person to do that. He said it is very progressive to imagine everyone getting personally involved in food production. But really, if you spend 2 hours a week at a community garden, grow some berries, have a few chickens, tomatoes, sprouts, anything that creates edibles. Even hunting for mushrooms, garden mollusks, wild greens, you will have such positive impact locally and globally.
Maybe my political and philosophical views are too independent and interdependent. I am upset by the chasm between my concept of wealth and say, our president's. If you are battling enemies all the time, when can you actually nurture your dependents? When can you actively care about the details of harmony and hope? If you focus on all the problems, you'll become a wreck. If you focus on all the fun, you'll become a wreck. Better to have fun solving problems and taking train rides. There is a risk of a wreck, but you're going somewhere!

No comments: